Thursday, March 17, 2011

Football thoughts: Philippines VS Mongolia


This was supposed to be published last March 15, 2011. But I just can't publish it on Multiply so I'm going to post it here and let's just think that today is the 15th of March! haha!

The day has come! Today, March 15, 2011, is the 2nd Leg between the Philippine Azkals VS Mongolia Blue Wolves in the AFC Challenge Cup. Who ever wins (combining the scores from the last match) will enter the Group Stage in Myanmar next week.

On the 1st leg (which happened here in the Panaad Stadium, Bacolod), Azkals had a 2-0 advantage. That 1st game was just thrilling!!! Every time I watch highlights of that game, it just gives me chills most especially the part where Chieffy Caligdong and Phil Younghusband scored a goal! That's how amazing that game was. Azkals played with their heart to bring Pinoy pride. The dogs surely kicked some wolves' ass.

And from then on, we followed their every move and kept ourselves updated with what's happening on their trainings and all until today has come!

I was really looking forward to this 2nd leg and based on the positive thoughts of the players, I KNOW that the team's going to the Group Stage and will have a big win on the 2nd match. WELL.. NOT until I watched the game this afternoon.

I watched the game at home. I was really excited and nervous at the same time but I believe in the team. I believe that they can get through this and have the BIG WIN 'cause they have this amazing teamwork. They are actually more than just a team. They're FAMILY.

So.. going back..  I was excited so I was tweeting while watching the game and then bam! We scored a goal! It was unclear to me YET as to who did it. Some said it was Ian Araneta, some said it was James Younghusband. (I BLAME THE CAMERA FOR THIS! Major camera fail all through out the game!) And then there was the recap of the shot and it was James who scored the first goal. I felt like jumping in the highest building when I found out it was JAMES who did it! haha! Talk about fan girling. :) With that goal, I believed that the team will be inspired to score some more. BUT.. The Blue Wolves just won't allow 'em. 

The Mongolian's performance on today's game was a surprise for me. Surely, they weren't like that when they played with the Azkals last month for the 1st match. They were wowing me! They're good. They have this different energy than when they were here. Maybe it's because they're playing in their homeland and they have the Mongolians up on the stands to cheer them up and they didn't have that on game 1. Set aside those stuff, they were really playing great. They scored 2 goals during the 1st half of the game. Actually, they could've scored more goals. 

On the other side, Azkals struggled during the 1st half. I can see that Eduard Sacapaño is pressured. I can see the team's lack of defense and maybe lack of focus. Looks like the weather has taken its toll on them. AND ALSO, I THINK that their play was affected by the artificial turf. I THINK.

2nd half came and we saw a better Azkals. They were exactly the opposite of what they showed us during the 1st half. Mongolians on the other hand, remains the same. Azkals' defense was better and you can really see them working very well with each other. I'm not saying that they weren't working with each other on the 1st half. It's just.. the teamwork is different.. They're very much alive--their spirits are high, they're back in the game! Only thing I didn't like VERY MUCH on the 2nd half was Phil having the hamstring injury. -___- I hope he's fine and I hope it's nothing serious. I wanna see him play next week!

Just when I thought that the game is about to end, 5 minutes were added to the game time. I became anxious because that 5 minutes is still long and a lot of things can happen. OH, I only prayed that time! I even tweeted "No more goals for Mongolia, please." haha! I begged God and everyone in heaven for this! And yes, God heard me! Mongolians didn't score a goal (and so as the Azkals) and they won the game with a 1-2 score.

BUT..

The Azkals are going in the qualifiers next week! Why? Combine the scores from the last game and today's game, we have 3-2 with the Azkals leading. So yeah.. we still won. PLUS, we have the advantage because we were able to score an away goal. Get it? Okay.. Meaning, we were able to score a goal in our opponent's home. Now, get it? :)

So even if we lost in today's game, we still got in the group stage. It may not be the best game but hey! The team did their best! No need for blaming and trash talking them. It looks easy for us who were watching than them who were actually playing the game. So stop the hate and let's all move on. Let's all focus on the games next week!

Keep supporting Azkals!
Laban Pilipinas! Laban Azkals! WE BELIEVE!

-F.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment